With the world’s eighth-largest economy and a population of over 38 million people, California has an undeniable allure as a place to do business. Companies that choose to do so face particular challenges, however, in complying with a daunting array of unique employment-related laws and regulations. “Only in California” has become a catchphrase for employers who find themselves navigating the complex and ever-changing requirements imposed on them by the state’s tireless Legislature.
Schiff Hardin’s Labor & Employment Group provides the resources and insight necessary for success in this challenging environment. Our California-based employment lawyers have decades of experience in crafting policies, compliance programs and best practices for California employers, and are especially adept at assisting out-of-state companies in adapting their practices to meet California’s unique requirements. Our California employment litigators are battle-tested, with victories in daunting venues where a sophisticated plaintiffs’ bar combines with employee-friendly jury pools to raise the stakes for employer defendants.
Our California successes include:
- Drafting and enforcing arbitration agreements to secure dismissal of class action wage and hour claims brought in California state courts
- Arguing cases addressing seminal employment law issues before the California Supreme Court
- Obtaining summary judgment in favor of our clients in numerous cases alleging sexual harassment, retaliation, discrimination and other employment claims
- Defeating class certification in a high-profile case against a global manufacturer alleging independent contractor misclassification
- Obtaining highly successful outcomes in investigations and enforcement actions by the California Department of Labor Standards Enforcement and other state administrative agencies