In today's business environment, companies are subject to greater scrutiny than ever before from shareholders, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and the stock exchanges on which their securities are traded. New regulations promoting transparency and protecting stakeholders maintain a sharp focus on a range of corporate governance issues.
A Shifting Legal Environment
Our Corporate Governance team understands the nuances and the complexity of the rapidly evolving corporate governance landscape. Taking a proactive approach, we help clients anticipate and navigate the legal challenges that could adversely affect their businesses.
We regularly advise companies, boards of directors, board committees, individual directors and officers, and institutional investors on the full range of corporate governance matters.
Comprehensive Services and Advice
Advice on corporate governance has been a staple of our corporate counseling for many years. The adoption of the historic Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act in 2010 and, prior to that, the Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002, have addressed the importance of implementing "best practices" in the areas of corporate governance, compliance and ethics. We offer comprehensive corporate governance and corporate compliance services, including advice with respect to:
- Board and board committee composition, practices and procedures
- Proper functioning of audit, compensation and governance committees
- Director and officer compliance with fiduciary duties
- Compliance with Securities and Exchange Commission, NYSE, and NASDAQ corporate governance rules
- Implementation of corporate record retention programs
- Sensitive internal investigations and enforcement actions
- Corporate codes of conduct, conflicts of interest and related party transaction policies
- Corporate compliance programs