Our Corporate and Transactional team builds on a strong tradition of offering private and public companies responsive service and innovative corporate, securities and financing solutions. We know our clients – many of whom we have served for decades – and are able to anticipate their needs and deliver solutions tailored to their individual circumstances. Our commitment and dedication has not gone unnoticed: the practice has been recognized by Chambers USA for our “wealth of experience” in the banking and finance arena.
Scope and Depth of Experience
We represent a diverse client base of organizations and individuals engaged in international, national, regional and local business, ranging from Fortune 500 corporations to mid-sized and smaller companies. We immerse ourselves in the nuances of their businesses and their business objectives in order to offer sophisticated strategic advice on everything from significant public company acquisitions to day-to-day business challenges.
The exceptional scope and depth of our corporate and transactional practice benefit clients of all sizes, especially when in-house staff or local counsel are stretched thin or face unusual legal questions.
Building Productive Client Partnerships
Our approach is straightforward: we partner with client business decision-makers to ensure that their company’s legal function supports and contributes to the achievement of the company's business goals. We collaborate with clients to:
- Draft, review or negotiate business contracts
- Assist in structuring, documenting and closing transactions
- Design and implement corporate policy statements and procedures
- Advise on labor, tax, benefits, real estate, or environmental issues that arise in the regular course of a company's business
- In many instances, we are called on to address unusual corporate law questions or larger, complex transactions, or transactions without precedent
With one phone call, our clients know that the full spectrum of our firm's capabilities will be immediately available to them -- and that our advice will be thoughtful, prompt, efficient and cost-effective. Our clients also know we will not only answer the questions they asked, but that we will provide answers to questions that should have been asked – and that will be raised in the future.
Laying Down the Laws
In addition to providing attentive, targeted representation to our clients, we have played a prominent role in the development of corporate and securities laws. For example, we have:
- Helped usher in the integrated disclosure system under the federal securities laws
- Contributed to the development of the shelf registration procedure
- Gained judicial validation of shareholder rights plans under Illinois law
- Handled the complex work that resulted in the creation of standardized options markets and the formation of the Chicago Board Options Exchange, the world's first and largest securities options market
Our Corporate and Transactional team has strong industry involvement and experience. We serve on committees of the American Bar Association's Section of Business Law, teach at law schools, and speak and publish nationally and internationally on corporate and transactional law and other related business issues.