As chair of Schiff Hardin’s Energy Litigation Client Services Group, Barry draws from a deep well of experience to help clients navigate complex issues in an increasingly regulated legal environment. An accomplished trial attorney, he is known for his effective representation of public utilities, independent power producers, natural gas companies and other energy industry participants.
Barry understands the energy business. He succeeds by devising and implementing litigation strategies, and achieving desired results, consistent with his clients’ regulatory obligations and business objectives.
Barry has been admitted to appear pro hac vice in state and federal district courts throughout the United States, including New York, Texas, Florida, West Virginia, Utah, California, Virginia and Pennsylvania.
Barry has represented energy companies around the country in a wide array of federal and state court cases, arbitrations, mediations and administrative proceedings involving:
- Clean Air Act citizens' suits
- Transportation and marketing of natural gas
- Renewable energy
- Power purchase agreements
- Open access transmission tariffs
- Natural gas sales agreements
- Power plant partnership disputes
- Power plant maintenance agreements
- Turbine defect claims
- Regional transmission partnership issues
- Government contracts
- Insurance coverage disputes
- Force majeure provisions
- Asset and stock purchase and sale agreements