Over the last several years, the construction industry has experienced remarkable growth and change. With such rapid expansion come unique challenges requiring experienced legal counsel. From zoning to land use and environmental issues, to intellectual property and public law, Schiff Hardin understands the breadth and nuances of legal matters facing the construction industry.
Our attorneys have strong working knowledge of both design and construction and have extensive backgrounds in the industry itself. The needs of construction industry clients go beyond the construction site, and we understand the scope and intricacies of these needs from various perspectives: owner, architect, engineer, contractor, subcontractor, developer.
We also assist our construction clients with their own business and personal needs. For instance, Schiff Hardin is a pioneer in counseling architect clients to establish themselves as designer-builders. Our succession planning, estate planning, and wealth preservation services are examples of other legal areas that impact construction industry clients.
Our services for construction clients include:
- Alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
- Acceleration and delay claims
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) claims
- Building code violations
- Concrete failures
- Curtain wall problems
- Design errors
- Electrical errors
- HVAC deficiencies
- Scope of work disputes
- Structural steel errors
- Turbine generator deficiencies
- Warranty and workmanship disputes
- Project controls
- Designer-led design-build
- Wealth preservation and business owner succession planning
- Professional liability defense
- Union contracts and negotiations
- Health and welfare plans
- Copyrights for plans and drawings