Bob serves as Co-Leader of the product Liability and Mass Torts Practice Group.
He is, first and foremost, a trial lawyer. He has successfully tried dozens of cases and argued numerous appeals across the country. His primary focus is on product liability and complex personal injury litigation, but he has handled a wide range of commercial litigation matters through trial and appeal. He has appeared at trial or on appeal on behalf of our clients in state and federal courts in Illinois, New York, California, Texas, Florida, Missouri, Wisconsin, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Oregon, Washington and Minnesota.
Bob has played the lead role in Schiff Hardin’s successful defense of personal injury and property damage claims against manufacturers of asbestos-containing products, including large consolidations and nationwide class actions. He has defended individual and class action product liability suits involving a wide range of industrial equipment and consumer products, including:
- Car seats
- Children’s swings
- Window coverings
- Automotive equipment
- Glass containers
- Packaging equipment
- Child resistant closures
- Gas grills
- Drinking glasses
- Gas heaters
He also led our firm’s team defending both mass tort and property damage claims arising from the events of 9/11 in New York City.
Bob’s appellate experience is extensive. He has argued before:
- The U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Third and Seventh Circuits
- The Supreme Court and the Courts of Appeals of Illinois
- The Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- The Supreme Court and the Courts of Appeals of Ohio
- The Supreme Court of Oregon
- The New York Court of Appeals
- The Maryland Court of Appeals
- The Florida Court of Appeals
- The Minnesota Court of Appeals
- The Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation
His appellate work has resulted in 48 reported decisions, including groundbreaking rulings in the areas of civil conspiracy, punitive damages, class certification, mass tort case management and constitutional interpretation.