Internal Investigations and White Collar Crime
Patricia successfully conducts internal investigations at public and private corporations, governmental entities and nonprofit organizations. Her comprehensive experience includes matters involving financial and accounting fraud, corporate whistleblower allegations, contract disputes and mail and wire fraud.
State officials frequently task Patricia to assist in investigating sensitive matters. Her experience includes:
- An appointment by Illinois governor Pat Quinn to chair the Illinois Torture Inquiry and Relief Commission, which promulgated rules and regulations and investigated claims of torture.
- The completion of the investigation of the City of Chicago’s fire commissioner, who was charged with allegations of sexual harassment, and the alleged cover-up by the executive director of the Office of Compliance.
- Service as the chair of the governor’s Cemetery Oversight Task Force. Patricia led the investigation surrounding the tragic incidents alleged to have occurred at Burr Oak Cemetery in Alsip, Ill. The investigation led to new legislation regarding cemetery oversight and the funeral industry.
- Acting as a member of Senator Dick Durbin’s judicial commission to review candidates and make recommendations for federal judgeships in the Northern District of Illinois.
- Co-leading the trial team that successfully defended former Hollinger International Inc. executive and corporate counsel Mark S. Kipnis against charges of federal mail, wire and tax fraud in United States v. Conrad M. Black et. al.
Patricia is a trusted counselor to high-profile clients and corporations. Her understanding of her clients’ business needs helps her to identify and achieve their desired business results. Her sophisticated and intelligent approach to legal counseling has been honed though years of successful partnerships in the public sector as well as high-level private corporations. She provides strategic and tactical advice to help her clients continue to do business legally and effectively. Patricia also knows how to communicate productively with government officials using credibility, clarity and tact.
With her experience as a trial lawyer as well as her familiarity with both sides of the bench, Patricia is frequently called upon to participate in high-stakes litigation cases. She has been a member of the litigation teams in several major commercial trials and served as lead counsel in multiple class-action litigations
In the courtroom, Patricia’s down-to-earth style readily connects with judges and juries. She credits her success with being able to tell her clients’ stories and communicate their objectives with sincerity and confidence.