Kevin J. Byrne concentrates his practice in commercial litigation and related business law counseling, with a particular emphasis on the representation of manufacturing and consumer goods companies in intellectual property disputes. He also chairs the firm's Manufacturing and Consumer Products Client Services Team.
Mr. Byrne has represented companies in connection with patent, trademark and trade dress issues involving a wide range of consumer, commercial and industrial products, including:
- Food and beverage containers
- Commercial ice machines
- Commercial coffee-making equipment
- Soft drink dispensing equipment
- Barbecue grills
- Designer sunglasses
- Cable television equipment
He has appeared in state and federal courts throughout the country and in proceedings before the U.S. Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
Applying the insights that he gained during a four-year hiatus from Schiff Hardin while serving in an in-house corporate counsel capacity at Household Manufacturing, Inc., then a $1 billion diversified manufacturing company, Mr. Byrne also provides advice and counseling to manufacturing and consumer goods companies on both day-to-day and special project matters. His counseling activities frequently include advice regarding:
- Product distribution, sales and marketing arrangements
- Manufacturing and licensing agreements
- Antitrust, trade regulation, advertising, unfair competition and product safety issues
- Strategies designed to protect the domestic and international intellectual property portfolios of clients