Antony S. Burt has more than 25 years of experience in complex commercial litigation, with a particular concentration in the areas of:
- Insurance insolvency
- Fidelity and surety bonds
- Director, officer and professional liability
- Civil fraud investigations
Mr. Burt has extensive experience representing the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC), the Federal Savings and Loan Insurance Corporation (FSLIC), and the Resolution Trust Corporation (RTC).
Mr. Burt handled highly visible lawsuits for these federal receiverships, including lawsuits against a former governor of Illinois, a U.S. congressman, a city mayor, and the son of a sitting President of the United States.
Mr. Burt's illustrative experiences in this area include:
- Acting as chief outside counsel for the RTC on all investigations into possible financial fraud at closed savings and loans during RTC's final year. In addition, he conducted special investigations for the RTC relating to the failure of high-profile financial institutions.
- Serving as a member of the RTC's Phoenix SWAT team handling litigation, investigations and asset disposition issues. During this period, Mr. Burt regularly lectured RTC attorneys and investigators on conducting investigations and pursuing professional liability claims.
- Being involved in many of the most important cases involving legal challenges to the appointment of receivers and receivership powers, including two cases which were decided by the U.S. Supreme Court.
Mr. Burt has substantial experience with reinsurance arbitration and litigation on behalf of both reinsurers and cedants. His reinsurance experience includes disputes over:
- Personal accident
- Individual disability insurance
- Workers' compensation carve out
- Warranty claims handling
- Claims reviews and auditing
- Oral agreements to reinsure
- Follow the fortunes and follow the settlements
- Letters of credit
- Fronting arrangements and obligations of ceding and assuming companies